In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burleston like this:
BURLESTONE, a parish in Dorchester district, Dorset; on the river Piddle, 4 miles NNW of Moreton r. station, and 7 ENE of Dorchester. Post Town, Piddletown, under Dorchester. Acres, 374. Real property, £561. Pop., 45. Houses, 7. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Athelampstone, in the diocese of Salisbury.